Basil Essential Oil
Basil essential oil is of watery viscosity and is pale greenish-yellow in color. The aroma is clear, light and peppery and gives a sweet, green top note to blends.
Basil originates from tropical Asia and the Pacific Islands but is now cultivated throughout Europe and USA.
The oil is extracted from the leaves and the flowering tops using steam distillation.
Linalol, Camphor, Pinene, Eugenol and Methylchavicol.
The therapeutic properties of basil oil include the following: analgesic, antidepressant, antispasmodic, anti-venomous, carminative, digestive, emmenagogue, expectorant, febrifuge, insecticide, stomachic, tonic and stimulant.
- Basil oil is a good tonic for the treatment of nervous disorders and stress related headaches, migraines and allergies.
- It has a beneficial action on the respiratory tract.
- it is often used for asthma, bronchitis and sinus infections.
- It is also effective in the case of constipation, nausea, vomiting and cramp.
- It is also effective with menstrual problems.
- It helps to minimize uric acid in the blood, thus relieving gout.
- It refreshes the skin and helps control acne.
- Although Basil usually stimulates, in excess it can have a groggy effect.
- It should not be used during pregnancy or on children under 16 years of age.
Blends well with:
Bergamot, Black pepper, Cedarwood, Fennel, Ginger, Geranium, Grapefruit, Lavender, Lemon, Marjoram, Neroli & Verbena.