Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile oil is of two types: Chamomile Roman essential oil and German Chamomile essential oil.
Chamomile Roman essential oil is produced from Anthemis nobilis and is also known as English Chamomile, Sweet Chamomile and Garden Chamomile.
German Chamomile essential oil is from Matricaria chamomilla and is also known as Blue Chamomile, Hungarian Chamomile and Single Chamomile.
The Chamomile Roman essential oil has a sweet, apple-like in fragrance and is very light clear blue in colour. Its viscosity is watery.
The Chamomile German essential oil is sweet, straw-like in fragrance and is dark blue in colour. Its viscosity is medium.
Chamomile Roman is native to England. It is now cultivated in Germany, France and Morocco.
German Chamomile is cultivated in France, Morocco and Spain.
Both the Chamomile Roman and German oil is extracted from the flowers by steam distillation.
The main chemical components of Chamomile Roman oil are: Angelic, Methacrylic, Butyric and Tiglic Acids, Azulene.
The main chemical components of Chamomile German oil are: Farnesene, Cuminic and Azulene.
The therapeutic properties of Chamomile Roman include: analgesic, anti-spasmodic, antiseptic, antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, anti-infectious, anti-depressant, anti-neuralgic, carminative, vulnerary, sedative, nervine, digestive, tonic and digestive.
The therapeutic properties of Chamomile German include: analgesic, anti-spasmodic, antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, emmenagogue, digestive, hepatic and vulnerary.
Roman Chamomile oil can be used for the following :
- Pain reliever: muscle aches and pains, rheumatism, headaches, migraine, neuralgia, toothache and earache.
- Skin problems: acne, eczema, rashes, wounds, dermatitis, dry itchy skin and allergic conditions in general. Relaxes and soothes the nerves, digestive system and gynecological conditions.
- For babies: diluted it soothes an irritated and teething baby, helps for colic, diarrhea and gastric spasms.
German Chamomile oil can be used for the following :
- Anti-inflammatory, inflamed joints, excessive heat in the muscles and inflammation of the bowel.
- Pain reliever: muscle spasms, rheumatism, arthritis and menstrual disorders.
- Skin problems: rashes, acne, eczema, psoriasis, hypersensitive skin and allergic conditions.
- Both are considered non-toxic and non-irritant, yet since they do emmenagogue properties when used in high concentrations.
- Both should be avoided during pregnancy.