Nutmeg Essential Oil
Nutmeg essential oil is sharp, spicy and rather musky in aroma.
It is a native of the Molucca islands, but is also found in Peneng, Java and Sri Lanka.
Nutmeg oil is extracted by steam distillation.
A-pinene, camphene, b-pinene, sabinene, myrcene, a-phellandrene, a-terpinene, limonene, 1,8-cineole, y-terpinene, linalool, terpinen-4-ol, safrole, methyl eugenol and myristicin.
Analgesic, antirheumatic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, carminative, digestive, emmenagogue, laxative, parturient, stimulant and tonic.
- Nutmeg oil stimulates the heart and circulation.
- It activates the mind and revives people from fainting spells, while stimulating the digestive system and fighting wind, nausea, chronic vomiting and diarrhea.
- It encourages appetite and averts constipation, fights gallstones and is a tonic for the reproductive system, while regulating scanty periods, relieving frigidity and impotence.
- It can aid births by strengthening contractions.
- The oil has shown good anti-inflammatory action, and is also successful in relieving pain, especially muscular aches and pain, as well as rheumatism.
- Nutmeg oil is considered non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing, yet in very large dosage may become toxic with symptoms such as nausea and stupor.
- This oil should not be used during pregnancy.