Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil has a fresh, sharp, menthol fragranc. It is clear to pale yellow in colour and has a watery viscosity.
It originated in USA.
Peppermint oil is extracted from its plant by the process of steam distillation.
Menthol, menthone, 1,8-cineole, methyl acetate, methofuran, isomenthone, limonene, b-pinene, a-pinene, germacrene-d, trans-sabinene hydrate and pulegone.
Analgesic, anesthetic, antiseptic, antigalactagogue, antiphlogistic, antispasmodic, astringent, carminative, cephalic, cholagogue, cordial, decongestant, emmenagogue, expectorant, febrifuge, hepatic, nervine, stimulant, stomachic, sudorific, vasoconstrictor and vermifuge.
- mental fatigue and depression
- stimulating mental agility and improving concentration
- nervous stress
- vertigo and faintness
- dry coughs
- sinus congestion
- stimulates the gall bladder and the secretion of bile
- spastic colon
- muscular pains and painful periods.
- skin irritation
- Peppermint oil is non-toxic and non-irritant in low dilutions, but may cause sensitization due to the menthol content.
- It can cause irritation to the skin and mucus membranes.
- It should be kept away from the eyes.
- It should be avoided during pregnancy and should not be used on children under seven years of age.