Some of the Safety Precautions
Aromatherapy essential oils are concentrated liquids. They can be harmful if not used carefully. By following the steps outlined below, you can safely enjoy the many benefits that aromatherapy has to offer.
These set of safety precautions are not comprehensive safety reference for the proper use of essential oils. Consult your doctor and/or a qualified and trained aromatherapy practitioner, when you have a doubt in your mind.
- Do not use Essential oils undiluted on the skin.
Sources on Aromatherapy say that ‘Lavender’ and ‘Tea Tree’ essential oils, even if you want to use them undiluted consult a aromatherapy practitioner or atleast do a patch test on your skin. But, the safest is to never use any essential oil undiluted.
- Some oils can be allergic or cause allergic reactions to some people. So it is very important to test it before using a new oil. Put only small amount of diluted essential oil (never use pure essential on the skin) on the skin and see if there is a reaction or not. Wait at least for 24 hrs before deciding that there is no reaction.This is very important so do not skip this test .
- Certain essential oils should not be used during pregnancy, or by people with special conditions like asthma, epilepsy, etc.
- When using essential oils, use the least amount necessary. If one drop will do the job, don't use two.
- Not every essential oil is suited for use in aromatherapy. Wormwood, Wintergreen, Pennyroyal, Sassafras, Onion, Horseradish, Rue, Bitter Almond, Camphor, etc. are some essential oils that should only be used by qualified aromatherapy practitioners.
- Children should not use essential oils by themselves. They should only use essential oils only with the presence of an adult who is knowledgeable about their use. Most essential oils smell great, which may tempt one to consume or drink them, specially children. Keep essential oils out of reach from children. Treat the oils like medicines that are poison in unknowing hands.
- Essential oils are to be used externally only. Essential oils should only be taken internally after consultation from a trained and qualified aromatherapy practitioner.
- Essential oils are flammable so take care while using them.